Thursday, February 24, 2011

Some Winter Florida Herps and Sun

There's no better place in the winter than South Florida. Here's a few shots from a recent outing into the wild swamps and pine flats of Florida.
A spring peeper taken from a hole along a marshy area. Breeding season is in full swing, and tadpoles can be seen diving into the sludge during January and February.
A softshell turtle casually maneuvering across a lonely dirt road.
An alert ribbon snake that didn't wind up like his DOR friend I saw previously on the road.
A little out of focus, but he's smiling for the camera.
Another water-loving snake, but this time a glossy crayfish snake.
Green anoles were out enjoying the beautiful weather, too.
Here's an alligator slide at the edge of a water hole that's beginning to dry up. He slipped into the remaining water, but left his tail mark and hand print behind (center of photo).Nice! Basking in a shallow, marshy field, this alligator has few places to hide.
I tried blindfolding him with my shirt, but he kept tossing it aside and growling at me. I'm not sure what I'd do with a 7-foot alligator anyway, but it was worth a try.
Hmmm....I have to get my shirt back now. He didn't like me in the water with him, so I saluted The Colonel and let him have his shallow bog back.

3 comments:

  1. oh my gosh!!! I thought you just casually tossed your shirt over the alligator's head! Now, I see that you were physically handling that beast and wrapped your t-shirt around and around his jaws...the jaws that want to take off your arms or legs! The jaws that you think you are invincible from! The jaws that could destroy your life! And now, I realize, not only did you wrap it around him, but you must have also unwrapped it also. AGHHHHHHHHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I didn't wrap it around his jaws or physically handle him. I used a stick to manipulate my shirt, but it was just resting over the top of his jaws, although it appears to look wrapped around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness, you boys scare me!!!

    ReplyDelete